The Togolese flag as we know it today has gone through a few changes over the years.
The German black-white-red horizontal tricolor, with the coat of arms at the center, was flown until 1914 when the British and French forced Germany out of the region.
Under French Rule
In 1956, French Togoland became an “autonomous” republic and a new flag was adopted. Instead of the vertical French blue-white-red flag flown between 1922 to 1956, the new flag featured a plain green field with two five-pointed white stars representing the British and French Togoland and the French tricolor in the top left. The Flag of French Togoland was flown from 1957 to 1958.
Sometime in 1958, the Togolese flag was amended. This updated flag was used until independence in 1960
The national flag of Togo was designed in 1960 by Paul Ahyi during a contest launched by the future republic. It features five equal horizontal stripes of green alternating with yellow with a red canton bearing a white star. Its dimensions are based on the golden rectangle and the five stripes represent the 5 regions of Togo. The red symbolizes the bloodshed in the fight for independence, the green represents agriculture, the yellow the riches of the land and the white star represents hope.